Create a Fearless New You in the New Year
Terri Cole | December 28, 2012
From: Positively Positive
About six months ago, we took our first Fearless Inventory. With the approach of the New Year, this is the perfect time to do the exercise again and analyze the difference between your thoughts six months ago and today. If you are new to our crew, join us now in taking this opportunity to set the tone for 2013.
In doing this exercise, whether for the first or second time, it is important to focus on staying present instead of mulling over the past or anxiously awaiting the future. Realize that by doing the exercise, you can harness the power of your intention and make what seems impossible, possible. Obsessing about what you did and did not do in the past and fearfully projecting into the future is your fear mind limiting your potential.
What I hope for you to accomplish here is to step into your truth, and in order to know your truth, you have to analyze what in your life feels right and in line with your authentic self and what does not (what you do out of feelings of obligation or fear).
Once you release the fear, you can stay rooted in the here and now and develop present moment awareness. You can begin to truly discover what you want more and less of in your life based on who you are NOW rather than on how you have behaved in the past.
Whether it’s now because New Year’s is right around the corner or at any other time throughout the year, here is a great exercise to help you stockpile your fearlessness and get on the path to sustainable change.
– Draw a line down the center of a sheet of paper.
– On the top of left side of the line, write, “What Do I Want More of in My Life?”
Then, write the following categories, leaving some space between each to fill in what you want more of:
- Health & Wellness
– On the top of the right hand column, write, “What Do I Want Less of in My Life?”
Then, write the same categories, leaving some space between each to fill in what you want less of:
- Health & Wellness
– Take some time to fill out each category. When you are finished, tear the paper along the centerline, safely burn the “Want Less” list, releasing its energy from your life, and hang the “Want More” list where you can see it on a daily basis.
Once you have completed the Want More/Want Less Exercise, do a FEARLESS JOURNALING EXERCISE to dig deeper.
1. What Do You Really Want?
Write the story of how your ideal life looks. Be specific.
- You want to work how many hours per week? What does your office look like? What type of people are your co-workers?
- What does your relationship look like? How do you want to handle conflict? What do you do to keep the relationship alive?
- Where do you want to live? What does your living space look like?
- What do you want to do for fun/balance? Are there any new hobbies you want to explore or old ones you would like to start up again?
- Do you want to travel? Where?
2. What Is Getting in the Way?
Without judging or blaming, list the TOP THREE things in your life right now that are preventing you from creating the lifestyle you described in #1. (Be specific and provide as much detail as possible.)
This weekend, allow yourself the time and space to put thoughts into words (which makes you more accountable and, therefore, more likely to act upon them). Living the life you deserve that is in line with your truth is worth the time and effort. Once you have completed the exercise, you can make decisions in line with your goals, so be sure to refer back to it and update your progress. Seeing how far you’ve come will motivate you to keep going!
Happy 2013! Let’s make this the best year yet!
Love Love Love
Terri Cole, founder and CEO of Live Fearless and Free,